It is great having New Year's and my birthday so close together because I spend the week abuzz with new ideas and big dreams and excited outlooks. I love "fresh starts" whether that be new years or back-to-schools or moving towns. It give me a kick to re-establish where I am grounded, and how I want to continue to grow.
I don't, however, like New Year's Resolutions or goal setting sessions. It doesn't encourage me knowing that I'll either complete something or I wont (ie: fail). Instead, I like to look at directions I want to be heading, and make some plans for how I'll head that way. Life is constant motion, growth and loss and confusion and success, not a list to be checked. So here are some of my directions for this year of being 26!
- Photography takes work. I think I've had it in my mind that success in a creative industry is serendipitous and for people who are clearly more talented than me. This has not only been disheartening, but also hasn't gotten me anywhere fast. While I think this is true for some, I'm realizing that it isn't true for many. A business takes work, and often that work takes years, so if I want to grow my business I need to be more intentional about getting busy!
- My self-image is entirely mental. Not bad mental. Mental mental. I've noticed that I can go from feeling painfully insecure about how I look for a week to feeling awesome about myself after two days of healthy eating and exercise. Why is this, when my body has literally gone through zero physical change in those two days? Because it's mental man! So I want to continue eating healthy and exercising regularly, because it makes me feel happy and proud and it kicks the bully in my head to the curb with relatively little work.
- Being a wife and also a mom. One of the things I'm most nervous about when it comes to being a mom is the toll that it could take on our marriage. I know this is a whole new ballgame of work, but I want to keep being best friends with my best friend.
- Reading is more rewarding than iPhoning.
- Baby is my new adventure partner. I have no idea what life will look and feel like after baby is born and has a real name, but I do know that I want to go on lots of adventures with Luff! Whether that be going for a walk in a city park or breastfeeding in the mountains (Like Gwen, right!?) I'm excited for this new adventure with my new tiny human
And that's where I'm walking. Pretty excited for another year of living!!
PS: I have a 2014 recap in the making but am taking forever to make it. But being nostalgic is fun so I'm still going to do it. All of January is a New Year's/Old Year's celebration right??